[Durham INC] FW: billboard update

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 19 18:17:31 EST 2012

So very sad. Just another example of preference paid to big $ private over public interests.

Meanwhile, our latest water bill, which is still charging fees for stormwater-related issues, states that it is the landowner's responsibility to maintain and fix drainage problems on his property -- despite the fact that such drainage problems are becoming more and more severe due to state/city/county-sanctioned tree clearing (and, in the case of development, replacement by impervious surfaces). This is especially the case for properties near intermittent streams, which have now become rapidly flowing storm ditches.

I was told by storm-water services (who did not provide any facts/regulations in this regard) that any homeowner who tried to stem the flow of water on their property would be liable for any consequences on neighboring properties. Their statement in our last bill/newsletter expressly prohibits homeowner's from inhibiting the flow of water downhill.

So it would seem the gov't wants to hold individual homeowners/taxpayers liable for consequences of their actions on stormwater but lets developers, billboard owners, and other special interests do what they want w/out any consideration for the consequences on their neighbors (in this case, the residents of the city/county in which they are doing business).

I am more and more saddened by this trend in our government.

Melissa (Rooney)