[Durham INC] clarification re Charter School in Chapel Hill

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 31 20:33:14 EST 2012

I merely sent this to the INC listserv as a possibly quite important heads-up for those who are keeping track of the shifts in NC's and the US's public schools to charter and even private schools.

We have a charter school in Durham (RTCA) that is operated by this private, for-profit company.

In addition, part of Chapel Hill is in Durham County, and I am not familiar enough with the school districts to know where the county lines are.

Just thought it might be good for folks to know about this controversy and to keep it on the radar -- with regard to our state, our nation, and, of course, our county.

And, as I said in my initial post, I am sincerely interested in discussion regarding schools being operated by private companies while receiving public funding.

This will be my last post on the matter, as I do realize it is an issue that effects Durham in a much more general way than those we typically discuss via INC.

Cheers,
Melissa (Rooney)