[Durham INC] Homes sold in Durham minus mineral rights -- Fracking to come?

Tom Miller tom-miller1 at nc.rr.com
Thu Apr 12 18:40:19 EDT 2012

In North Carolina, with the exception of some large tracts in the western
counties where mining was/is a real industry, it is extremely unusual for a
seller to reserve mineral rights.  In the western US, reservations are not
unusual - this accounts for the Utah-drawn deed Gary mentioned.  A
reservation of mineral rights in this state can  be made in a the deed
conveying the property from the reserving seller and then left out of all
subsequent deeds.  It can also be made in a plat, easement, or declaration
of covenants of the subject property recorded by the reserving seller before
the deed to a purchaser is made.  Again, the deed will refer to the plat,
easement, or covenants to perfect the reservation.  All of this is common in
NC residential development, but for things like the right of architectural
review, not mineral rights.

Under NC law, the seller of a property has no express duty to point out to a
purchaser that the seller has reserved mineral rights.  It is presumed that
the purchaser will protect himself by reading a deed before he closes.
Under the standard form residential sales contract commonly in use in NC
during the last three decades, a seller's reservation of mineral rights
would have to be included expressly (i.e., written in), otherwise, the
seller in that contract makes a broad promise to provide marketable title,
free of unusual encumbrances and objections to fee-simple title.  The
standard contract is not mandatory, however, and many development firms do
not use it.

When the seller uses a real estate broker to sell the seller's property, the
seller's broker actually has a higher duty under the law than the seller has
himself.  The seller's broker must disclose a material fact to the
prospective buyer even if the seller chooses to say nothing.  A fact is
material if it is one that the ordinary, reasonable, and prudent buyer would
want to know before deciding to purchase.  The fact, standing alone, does
not in itself have to be determinative.  It merely must be one that a buyer
would want to weigh against other facts.  Using this test, the seller's
intention to make the transfer subject to a broad reservation of mineral
rights would be material by any measure.  The seller's broker would have
duty to expressly disclose such a fact if he the agent actually knew of the
fact or if the broker  reasonably should have known of it.  Because it is
fact that might be revealed only through a search of the seller's title, an
seller's agent might not know that the reservation would be found there.
Title searches are the practice of law and a real estate agent may not
practice law.

When the seller and the seller's brokers are merged, then the seller may
have to make the disclosure.  For example, a developer, Oil and Gas
Development Company, buys a 500 acre tract of land which it calls Oil and
Gas Estates, and intends to sell lots for residential construction.  Instead
of hiring Pine Tree Realty in the nearby town to sell the lots, O&GDC
creates its own real estate company, O&G Realty, and gets it licensed as a
broker in NC.  If O&GDC intends to reserve mineral rights in its sales to
lot purchasers, then O&G Realty must disclose the reservation to prospective
purchasers.  Because of the proximity of O&GDC and O&G Realty, it would be
very difficult for the O&G Realty brokers to say that they did not know or
should not have known about the reservation.  If, however, O&GDC hires Pine
Tree Realty to sell the lots and keeps them in the dark about the
reservations and if a reasonable broker in the same circumstances would not
have discovered the reservations, then Pine Tree may have not duty to
disclose.  There are other scenarios, but I have made the main points.

A buyer should hire an attorney to search the title of any property he hopes
to buy.  The attorney searching the title will provide the buyer with an
opinion about the quality of the seller's title and not for the buyer any
shortcomings or problems that appear of record during the period of
reasonable search (30 to 60 years).  The law does not require such a search,
prudence does.  If the buyer is borrowing money, his lender may require it
as a condition of the loan.  Such a search should find a mineral rights
reservation.  The search, however, is performed immediately before the
scheduled closing - after the time a buyer might reasonably walk away from
the deal.  Also, the reservation, if it is consistent with some provision of
the sales contract, may not indicate itself to the attorney as a problem.

 A buyer's best protection is to read his contract thoroughly and to ask
questions.  This may be, as a matter of the real world, unrealistic.
Consumers, even sophisticated ones, are often overwhelmed by the paperwork
attendant to real estate transactions.  They assume, not unreasonably, that
the forms they sign are at least routine and reasonably neutral.  They
assume, again not unreasonably, that the professionals surrounding them will
catch all problems.  But, as I have pointed out, it is possible for the
professionals not to catch mineral rights reservations.

One of the problems would-be frackers will have in NC is obtaining the
rights to go beneath the property of citizens who do not expressly allow
them to do it.  Where property is already significantly carved up into small
parcels (like most parts of the original 13 colonies), it is very hard to go
back and reassemble the extraction and passage rights that might have been
more easily obtained when the property of the state was still divided only
in giant grants and tracts in the hands of a few.  This is why fracking
might still be pulled off so easily in the western US where giant parcels
still exist.  As I understand it, fracking sometimes involves drilling
horizontally for miles.  There are not very many parcels in the populated
parts of NC that run for miles on the surface or underground.  All the same,
an NC purchaser who does not wish to buy property subject to someone else's
right to extract minerals or pass beneath the surface of the property,
should declare his wishes and ask hard questions before he signs a contract
to purchase.

Tom Miller