[Durham INC] County officials don’t see end to same-sex benefits

Stacey Poston staceyrobinposton at gmail.com
Mon May 7 21:39:33 EDT 2012

Dick:

I'm not sure your point for continuing to post on this topic. Are you
trying to indicate that passing the amendment won't harm families
financially and that their benefits are safe?

Passing the marriage discrimination amendment precludes any hope of EVER
creating an equal pay for equal work system designed around domestic
unions-- for opposite-sex and same-sex couples.

As a city employee, I am required by law to pay into the state retirement
system.  Currently, if I die, my domestic partner of 13 years
can't receive any of the benefit of the contributions that I put into the
system. They are washed away.

While Durham County created a nice position paper, it's an opinion. As we
all know, the only thing for sure is litigation is just over the horizon.
 Expensive litigation, which will siphon off funds that could be put to
better use paving roads and educating our children.

-Stacey Poston
A citizen who voted AGAINST the amendment.

Another news story on this issue to consider. From News Observer:
County officials don’t see end to same-sex benefits

Read more here:
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/07/2049590/durham-county-affirms-commitment.html#storylink=cpy
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/07/2049590/durham-county-affirms-commitment.html

Dick