[Durham INC] Help --Trinity Park Wetland could save Durham $20M and more...

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 20:25:39 EDT 2012

I agree that if this is a hole surrounded by a fence then we have problems.

This is a GREAT opportunity to build something beautiful, beneficial for the wildlife and the surrounding nbhds, and educational to the public about the benefit of wetlands.

The PR is there...my daughter recently won the contest for 'Wetlands Are Beautiful' posters (5th grade) held by the Soil and Water Conservation District this Spring.

But we need more than PR. We need REAL action and evidence of true commitment in this regard.

I certainly hope that the soil and water conservation district and Durham's 'Water Conservationist', Mike Dupree, will be consulted and intimately involved in the plans. They may even be able to help with funding for projects like this and would likely be able to write a grant if the city and Storm Water Services truly sought and welcomed their input. (Storm Water services ften erroneously sees SWCD as a threat rather than the partner they should be.)

Perhaps the NC Botanical Gardens and/or Museum of Life and Science staff could also be involved in the design. They have an immense amount of experience and beautiful wetland gardens to prove it!

Local companies could be solicited for donations, and a plaque could be erected detailing all those who contributed time and/or money. An educational walking trail would be perfect!

I envision cat-tails and pitcher plants, lily pads, irises, lilies, and all those beautiful plants  that inhabit healthy wetlands...and of course the wildlife that come with them...

This is truly a wonderful opportunity for Durham. I hope we don't drop the ball.

Melissa (Rooney)