[Durham INC] Westpoint at 751

Ed Harrison ed.harrison at mindspring.com
Fri May 11 19:44:04 EDT 2012

The factual accuracy in this thread is going off the tracks.  The
almost-built Westpoint at 751 project had George Stanziale as the
landscape architect who prepared and filed the application, now more
than 3 years ago.  The initial application received a staff
recommendation for denial based on two absent details in the
application, one of which was any acknowledgement whatsoever that the
application would destroy part of a Significant Natural Heritage Area,
or that the application even covered part of the SNHA. The
development's relationship with the natural area was worked out over
time in negotiations with local planner and state biologists -- a
process forced by a provision in the 2005 Comp Plan.

There is no reason to think that the landscape architect for a project
in the previous decade has any relationship to the current management
company for the shopping center. John Fugo is a principal for
Montgomery Development, which currently has its office in the
commercial "village center" of Chapel Hill's Southern Village. Fugo
holds some property in that village center, whose anchors are the
Lumina Theater and Weaver Street Grocery (not your typical strip
mall). I have not had reason to deal with him or his company, and am
not all that interested in doing so.

Ed