[Durham INC] New from the Rev-elution - Jeanne Lucas

Christine Chamberlain christinebbd at yahoo.com
Tue May 22 21:32:00 EDT 2012

________________________________
 From: Pat Carstensen <pats1717 at hotmail.com>
To: christinebbd at yahoo.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:41 PM
Subject: RE: [Durham INC] New from the Rev-elution - Jeanne Lucas

....I do think that you could shift tactics a little in what you say about "not solving social problems in the schools," because you seem to be mostly talking about the social problem of legacy from civil rights era, and many of us think the social issues that are affecting the schools are much broader than the legacy of civil rights era and the issues with communicating across communities is much bigger than the schools.

Regards, pat

Yes!  This is what I'm trying to say as well... it's much broader.  I must not be doing a very good job communicating my thoughts.  (My brain drives me nuts half the time).  There is collateral damage from the civil rights era (I.e.: moving the cure to social problems to the classroom), poverty issues, funding, bureaucracy... and more.

We need to work on "communicating across communities"... but this isn't an educator's job, to facilitate the communication among the communities.

I have a question...  When we desegregated the schools, did the communication among communities stop?  Did everyone fall back to let the schools do the job for them?

Or was it there along-side what was going on in the schools?  (I sincerely want to know... I was in Iowa back then).

Christine Chamberlain