[Durham INC] INC Account at Self-Help

Dan Singer des at cs.duke.edu
Thu May 24 01:10:38 EDT 2012

On Wed, 23 May 2012, John Martin wrote:
 > I'm reaching out to you in the hope that you can offer a suggestion.  I'm president of the InterNeighborhood Council of Durham which has been a non-profit coalition of neighborhoods and homeowner associations for twenty-five years.  We recently closed our account at Wells Fargo and opened a checking account at Self-Help.  We discovered, however, that even non-profits have to pay a $5 a month service charge, plus a fee for checks.
 > I presented this to our delegates at our monthly meeting last night and they wanted me to find out if there is any way these fees can be waived.  Simply put, our dues are only $25 a year per neighborhood.  Sixty dollars a year in bank fees is the equivalent of dues for almost two and a half neighborhoods.
 > Please let me know if you have any suggestions about this, or people I should contact. Thanks for your help.

John, I'm the treasurer for Northgate Park.  When Southbank - where we
had our bank account - closed their Durham branch, my first thought
was to switch over to SHCU.  But, due to certain policies and a lack
of flexibility on SH's part (and ours), we had to take our account
elsewhere.  We went with Cardinal State Bank (near Lowes), at least
they're NC based.  Free checking and online services, so far no
complaints.

Dan Singer