[Durham INC] New from the Rev-elution - Jeanne Lucas

Christine Chamberlain christinebbd at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 13:01:52 EDT 2012

But you're missing 'my' point.   You're focusing on the fear in a tiny few number of white people.  I understand that you want to help them with their fear.  And believe me, I want to help them with their fear too, and have tried!  You can preach to the choir till the cows come home. But those tiny few number of white folks still fearing you aren't listening. You can repeat this message a thousand times.... and who is sitting behind you?  Listening to every word you say?  Hearing it over and over again?  Little boys.  Little boys who want to be just like you because that's what little boys do.  They want to be just like those they admire.

You preach to the choir.  Wanting desperately to help those tiny few number of white people stop fearing.  Do you mention the vast multitude of white people that don't fear you?  Do you even see us out there?  My grandfather fought, spilled his blood, and abandoned his family for years of his life FOR YOU.  There were white people fighting for YOU during the civil war, civil rights, school merger and little ol' me from podunk Iowa started fighting for YOU when I got here.

Please, please hear me when I say those walking beside you are more than weary of hearing this sermon you are bound to.  You are.... BOUND .... to.

Oh, you're being heard!  Yes, you're being heard.   The white folks walking beside you are hearing, over and over again... and so are the little boys.  And the little boys learn it in preschool, elementary and by the time they're in 3rd grade it's anchored to their soul.

You said in an earlier email, something about white people telling you they're tired of this story and they wish you'd get over it already.  (memory is a problem for me, remember?)    Yeah... I've been walking next to y'all for 18 years and it's getting hard to put up with being ignored and overlooked, as you look for those 2 white people who crossed the street.  Mighty tired of hearing this over and over and over again.  And mighty tired of trying to repair the damaged psyche in the boys who sit in my classes.. knowing they'll go home and hear the same ugly story all over again.

And I ask again... how many white people will it take not crossing the street?

Christine Chamberlain