[Durham INC] New from the Rev-elution - Jeanne Lucas

Christine Chamberlain christinebbd at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 13:57:20 EDT 2012

Someone wrote privately, and it reminded me of what happens when you disturb deep roots.

I wrote about my painful past, in hopes that you'd see how hard I've worked to dig up bitter roots.  Deeply painful roots.  And when you start trying to dig up those roots, it hurts like hell.  Walking the road of life sure is easier if you just leave the roots alone!  The thing about roots though, is they affect what's going on above ground.   Bitter roots don't let you look so nice.

Racism has deep, deep roots.  As a white person trying to disturb those roots... I probably look like a racist, right?  Anyone coming along to dig up those roots is going to look like a racist to the black person, and a nutcase to the few white people who think you're nuts trying to bring a black person into the mix.

I hope you see that I'm trying to disturb the roots, and bring them up to heal the bitterness.

Christine Chamberlain