[Durham INC] The Reading Bill

Richard Ford rbford at aim.com
Tue Jun 12 22:52:19 EDT 2012

I'm posting the answers from Mary Carey of Bootstraps.

All I will add is that Bootstraps has tremendous energy, focus, optimism and expertise.

Dick

Hi-

Bootstraps is a Triangle wide, nonpartisan, all volunteer political action committee.  Our goal is an educated and productive citizenry for Durham, Wake and Chapel Hill.  We believe every citizen  being able to read is vital to this goal.  We hope to engage individuals, organizations and businesses in addressing this very important problem.  In Durham 44% of students failed the reading end of grade test.  In Wake one in four failed.  In Chapel Hill 13% failed*.  That may sound good unless of course you are one of the 13%!

If you can’t read you can’t learn.  There are correlations between illiteracy and the dropout rate, drug and alcohol abuse, unemployment, crime and many other societal ills.  Illiteracy is incredibly painful for the individual and it is devastating for a society.  Even home values are affected by low reading scores in a community.  I guess my point is that so many students not being able to read is all of our problem and we need everyone’s help addressing it.

We are Moms and Dads of struggling readers.  We are concerned citizens, business owners, volunteers, students—anyone who cares and wants to help children be successful in school.  If you would like to be kept up to date on the work we are doing please reply with your name and email and you will be added to our list.  I promise that emails only go out if something important is occurring.  You can go to our website:  www.bootstrapspac.org to learn about volunteer opportunities.

Our board members are:  Mark Trustin, George Horton and Stacey Yusko.  Deborah Pausback is our Durham campaign contact.  I am happy to answer any additional questions.  Thank you for inquiring!

Mary Carey
www.bootstrapspac.org
919-522-9610

Sent from my iPhone