[Durham INC] Aug 3 - 5 support Local Independent Businesses TAX FREE!

Laura Drey lauradrey at ncrrbiz.com
Thu Aug 2 17:35:56 EDT 2012

Shopping at independent, locally owned businesses feeds our local economy. “We know independent businesses are key to leading the way out of recession,” said Jennifer Rockne, co-director of the American Independent Business Alliance (AMIBA), a national network of more than 80 community alliances supporting local entrepreneurs. “The survey results confirm the growing number of communities refocusing energy on local entrepreneurs, rather than transient corporations, are receiving a great payback from their investment.”

Sustain-a-Bull and Shop Local Raleigh are members of AMIBA. Visit www.sustainabull.net andwww.shoplocalraleigh.org to find out more about supporting local businesses and the local economy, how you can get involved, and their events.

—From http://www.sustainabull.net/2012/02/26/shop-local-organizati%E2%80%8Bons-increased-revenues-for-independen%E2%80%8Bt-businesses-in-2011/

Under the guidelines for the August 3 – 5 tax-free weekend, the following items are exempt from sales tax:
•  Clothing, footwear, and school supplies of $100 or less
•  School instructional materials of $300 or less
•  Sports and recreational equipment of $50 or less
•  Computers of $3,500 or less. Tablet computers and netbooks qualify (e-readers do not).
•  Computer supplies of $250 or less

For a detailed list of what is and is not exempt from sales tax, see: http://www.dornc.com/taxes/sales/salestax_holiday.html

For a list of local independent businesses in Durham see:  http://www.sustainabull.net/
Sustain-a-bull is a non-profit.