[Durham INC] Safe Running in Durham

Anthony Waraksa ajw024 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 15:46:02 EDT 2012

I agree that running in  a group would be safe, but don't overlook
Umstead State Park off Route 70. Some of the biking and bridle
trailsare of that length, and the surfaces are smooth packed dirt.
I've seen deer on some of them on mid morning runs. A caution -- I
don't remember its name, but there's a trail that intersects the one
alon the northeast boundary of the park, it it requires fording a
stream (kind of fun to do barefooted  -- you'd not want to run all the
way back with wet sneakers)

Pick up a trail map at the visitor center -- You can run from there or
drive to a trail head. The trail map does show the trail mentioned
above crossing the stream -- had I paid attention I'd not have been
surprised.