[Durham INC] City of Durham Response to Flushing Inquiries on INC List

Blalock, Amy Amy.Blalock at durhamnc.gov
Thu Aug 9 16:31:57 EDT 2012

Sent on behalf of the City of Durham Water Management Department

First, we want to reiterate that the City's water is safe to drink.  It
is the City's practice to notify customers when and if their water is
unsafe for drinking.  Fortunately, we have not had to issue that type of
notice in my 25+ years with the City.

In this particular instance, a planned construction activity stirred up
sediments in the City's distribution system which led to calls about
both yellow and brown water.  This was unanticipated event; the City's
contractor was following the routine process necessary to place a new
pipeline into service.  The flushing activity is required to pull water
into the new pipeline for pressure testing and disinfection prior to
placing it into service.  However, the system was not valved properly
and the high velocity used for the flushing activity stirred up
sediments.

During this type of activity, the water may not be aesthetically
pleasing, but it remains fully disinfected and safe. Water Management
staff recommends that customers run their taps for a few minutes - until
it is clear - before using water for cooking and drinking. Also, don't
wash whites until the faucets run clear.

Ideally, we would like to be able to collect the water used in flushing
and reuse it for non-potable uses. However, the manpower and tanker
trucks and logistics required make this practice economically
infeasible.  In times of declared water shortage, we limit flushing
activities to the minimum necessary.

We certainly regret any inconvenience this may have caused our
customers. As a reminder, we encourage customers to contact Durham One
Call at 919-560-1200 when concerns like this arise. They will advise of
construction activities in the area or direct you to the appropriate
Water Management staff for follow-up (water testing, etc.).

For information on Water Management Department projects or other
questions, please visit the City's website at www.DurhamNC.gov.

Sincerely,

Don Greeley

Director, Water Management Department