[Durham INC] Ending the cycle of poverty transportation

Christine Chamberlain christinebbd at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 13:08:02 EDT 2012

Carl, you stated "the reason this is important is related to the need to change the culture of the bus system to encourage people to ride the bus".

When I read that a man angrily vents his frustration that he can't make it in this world, I have to say it encourages me to drive my daughter to Durham Tech instead of letting her ride the bus.  It is inappropriate to vent anger towards a "captive audience". The man's emotional instability is likely a reason he can't make it in this world.

Darius wrote of his
observations of the success of black men in Durham county, more
eloquently than I could, and it's my sincere hope that you can focus on
the truth of his words.  Thank you Darius.

I recall comments you made a month ago.  Your schedule was interrupted due to unforeseen problems with the bus system that day.  You made it home a few hours later than you planned.  You burst into tears over it, as you admitted in your writings about that day.  You went on and on and on, giving reasons for your tears.   My daughter rode the bus that same day.  She came home later than expected, but she didn't burst into tears over it.  Life happens.

If you're trying to encourage people to ride the bus, you're going about it the wrong way.  I'll be driving my daughter to school for the next few months.

Christine Chamberlain