[Durham INC] New from the Rev-elution: Ending the cycle of poverty transportation

Matt Dudek matt.dudek at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 22:41:16 EDT 2012

I think this is exactly the problem Carl is addressing. The majority of the people who ride the bus today don't ride it because it's easy, they ride it because it's their only option. And it can be dehumanizing to deal with the indignities of being let off the bus early, in the rain, because of a service issue. And when a large chunk of white/upper or middle class people say "I would ride the bus if it were easy" then it makes it a little more understandable that a frustrated individual might say:

“A black man can’t make it in this country,” an animated rider declared as the bus turned right on Dowd Street. “The white man has everything.  Ain’t nothing we can do to change things.”

Carl's point though, is that there is a well documented stigma surrounding the bus, as well as walking and biking. The TTA has done a great job of making things better by adding wifi to routes, and working with DATA to improve reliability and performance of routes. The Bull City Connector is another great way to get around Durham, and a real boon to the area. We need to continue to reduce the stigma surrounding it.

And buses will never run with any regularity in South Durham because the population density is not high enough to support any level of ridership that would come close to paying for it. Even in a city like Boston, only a few of the bus lines weren't in the red.

- Matt