[Durham INC] Fwd: Postal Service delivery method swtich attempt

Marge Nordstrom mnordstrom at nc.rr.com
Tue Aug 21 13:50:54 EDT 2012

When I moved here, December 2000, and changed my mailing address to Durham
in January 2001, the USPS tried to "strong arm" me into installing a curb
side mail box.  They sent me several nasty letters and then withheld my
mail.  I fought them tooth and nail for weeks because I didn't think they
could legally require this, and fortunately it still was a time when we had
regular mail carriers.  Mine was a wonderful man named Eddie.  Between his
efforts and mine, we kept my service at my door.  My huge concern was
security.  I live up on a hill on Anderson Street at the corner of Elmwood,
quite a distance from Anderson or from Elmwood.  I freaked at the thought of
the security issues if I installed a rural type of mailbox on one of the
curbs-i.e., no security whatsoever.  When I lived in the DC area, there were
sets of secured mailboxes (I've seen these in subdivisions here too), and
that was ok.  But the approach of unsecured rural mailboxes in an urban area
was totally unacceptable, and still would be.

In addition, this was my first interaction with a government agency in
Durham.  Even though it wasn't local government, it was a really unpleasant
"welcome" to the community, and one that I will never forget.

Regards,

Marge Nordstrom