[Durham INC] Public Event: Oct 11 (Thurs), 6:30, Effects of state budget on Durham Families and Children

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 3 16:58:27 EDT 2012

Please see below for information about this important event.
Thx!
Melissa (Rooney)

Hi - hope everyone can attend and please spread the word to your various groups...
                We look forward to your participation at the Thursday, October 11th event, Our Community, Our Priorities, The Effects of the State Budget on Durham's Family and Children.  The event will be held at Durham School of the Arts, 400 North Duke Street, parking on North Duke and on North Duke and Washington Street.
                The event will begin at 6pm with registration, a resource fair and light refreshments.  At 6:30pm, Together NC and the NC Budget  Tax Center will provide an overview of the current state budget.  From 6:30pm to 7pm, we will hear from a  service provider and a client from various fields:  education, early childhood, mental health, juvenile justice and senior citizen issues.
                The second hour will provide participants with an opportunity to learn effective advocacy strategies:  working through parent-based organizations, non-profits and advocacy, engaging the legislature, and understanding the public schools budget.  We will also partner with Together NC to collect video stories which will be used this spring to state our community's concerns, needs and budget priorities.
                Over 19 organizations answered the call to support this event, we hope you will attend, fully engage and invite your colleagues, clients and citizens of Durham.
                Please don't hesitate to contact me with questions, concerns or ideas.

Sincerely,

Nancy Cox
DPS Board of Education
State Legislative Liaison