[Durham INC] municipal water system privatization

Marcilla Smith ilovemarcilla at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 20:25:10 EST 2013

If I may be allowed to fan the vent a little ;) here is a study which says
60% of the global population will face moderate to extreme water resource
vulnerability in less than 12 years:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023%2FA%3A1007957229865

When Bolivia's third largest city privatized its water system, the
USA-based transnational Bechtel stepped in with "less than optimal" results:

<http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023%2FA%3A1007957229865>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTKn17uZRAE

I wish I could reassure myself that "that sort of thing just doesn't happen
here." However, I'm all too aware that much of the violence our neighbors
to the south experience is actually "exported" from places like a certain
government facility down the road in Fayetteville which shall remain
nameless ;)

Personally, I lack the wherewithal to leave, or I'd probably already be in
Iceland.

I think something like what happened in Cochabamba can be avoided here, but
not with policy-making that ignores historical precedent and ever more
militarized policing. It is going to take a willingness to face the reality
of the situation and commit effort to solutions.

But if not, I call "dibs" for when the air gets privatized. I'M GONNA BE
RICH!!! =P

Marcilla "yes, I probably *do* need medication" Smith