[Durham INC] Use caution driving across and walking along railroad tracks; basic info regarding & reasons to ride Amtrak

Laura Drey lauradrey at ncrrbiz.com
Thu Feb 7 08:04:24 EST 2013

One time a staff person on Amtrak informed me that it takes 3 miles for a train to stop. I would urge you to consider this when considering when driving across railroad tracks.

Please do not let accidents steer you away from riding the rails. Accidents do receive a lot of publicity but they are a rare occurrence.

I love to ride Amtrak for many reasons. As a passenger I get to observe diverse scenery that one does not get the opportunity to see from a car window because the trains routes are different from highways and other roads. I find the routes to be more scenic and diverse because they pass directly through the heart of cities, towns, rural and industrial areas. I can afford to be more observant while I am not driving. The seats are comfortable. There is lots of leg room to spread out in. You can get up and stretch as you walk through the cars. There a volunteers that can assist you, including with questions regarding what you are seeing. There is a car with tables to visit around, play games, etc. I enjoy talking with strangers and there is ample chances for such conversations. As we all know by taking Amtrak you are using a system of mass transit so you are contributing to there being fewer cars on the road so less air pollution is generated and there is less need for building and maintaining roads. Train cars have computer hooks ups. (I do not have a lap top and I think even if I had one I would not choose to use them while riding on the train.) Think of the experiences you can have and the stories you will be able to share.

Price of ticket varies. There are discounts (see below). The cost depends on availability so that the sooner you purchase a ticket the more likely you are to pay less. The US government covers part of the cost of tickets.

There are plenty of places you may travel to. There are now 3 trains that go north and south every day from Durham. I think people may have the misperception that from here Amtrak only rides across North Carolina. You may take the train to distant destinations from the Triangle - Washington DC, NYC and Boston. From Greensboro you can get to Atlanta. From Raleigh there are additional routes, including to Florida.

Amtrak

Schedules and fares: (800) 872-7245 [1-800-USA-RAIL]

·       From Durham, round-trips on same day are possible to some cities including Greensboro, High Point, Salisbury, Charlotte, and Rocky Mount.
o   See Travel Options—Prices vary according to availability, purchase and travel dates, and time of day: rail passes; multi-ride tickets: advance booking, and more: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am/Layout&p=1237405732514&cid=1241267347506

·       Discounts

o   AAA, groups of 20+, students, seniors, children, and more: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&p=1237405732514&cid=1241213285737

·       Three local stations:
o   Cary: 211 North Academy St., Cary, NC 27511
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=am/am2Station/Station_Page&code=CYN

o   Durham: 601 W. Main St., Suite 103, Durham, NC 27701 (across from West Village, in the former Liggett & Meyers building―beautiful renovation!!―near the former DATA bus station)
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=am/am2Station/Station_Page&code=DNC

o   Raleigh: 320 West Cabarrus St., Raleigh, NC 27601
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=am/am2Station/Station_Page&code=RGH
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/HomePage

Laura