[Durham INC] Valentine's Day alternatives - donation, class, performance ticket, shop locally, outdoor flowers

Laura Drey lauradrey at ncrrbiz.com
Fri Feb 8 07:10:47 EST 2013

Alternative Gift Ideas for Valentines Day *

An alternative to giving-gifts is to make a contribution to a non-profit organization in the name of a loved one, friend or co-worker. Another option is to treat your significant other or friend and visit a place together (see Day Trips and Triangle Exploring sent December 21, 2012 as well as NC & VA Places to go). I believe that it is good to take advantage of the live performances and classes (adults, kids and teens sent August 17, 2012) that are available in our own backyard. With that in mind, you could give a ticket to a live performance or pay for someone to take a class. (Some performance places use volunteers and sometimes there are scholarships for taking classes.) You could have a girls, boys or loved ones night out at a restaurant (for Triangle see May 10, 2012 and downtown Durham see September 15, 2012) or cafe or dessert place. If you are going to buy a present I urge you to shop local, independent stores (see November 21, 2012). Give a winter outdoor flowering plant (see below. I have a list of plant nurseries, garden centers and more plant resources.)

* In addition I am sending a 22 page list of restaurants in the Triangle. Coming soon will be a revised performance series list. In addition there will be a list of list serves to learn about issues calendar events. If you would like any of this information write me off list let me know which one(s) you are interested in.

------

Plant Favorites that Flower in the Winter

Bushes
·  Camellia (Camellia japonica): Evergreen bush, comes in a variety of blossom colors; some bloom in winter, some in the spring and others in the fall.  http://www.floridata.com/ref/c/cam_jap.cfm

·  Edgeworthia (Edgeworthia chrysantha): Silvery blue-green leaves for spring and summer, yellow fall foliage, and bright blooms on the bare winter silhouette!

·  Fragrant Sweet Box (Sarcococca ruscifolia): Tiny white flowers http://www.frenchgardening.com/inprofile.html?pid=309514014118439

·  Fragrant Tea Olive (Osmanthus fragran): Evergreen bush with clusters of small, fragrant flowers that bloom from October-February.  http://www.floridata.com/ref/O/osm_frag.cfm

·  Oriental Paper bush (Edgeworthia chrysantha): Small clusters of white flowers bloom on bare branches December–January.  http://bloomtown.typepad.com/bloomtown/2007/03/edgeworthia_chr.html

·  Winter Daphne (Daphne odora): Small evergreen shrub, fragrant flowers January- March, solid dark green or variegated with white trim on the leaves; one species buds red and opens white, the other buds white and opens white.  http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/15985/

Small plants

·  Hardy Cyclamen (Cyclamen hederifolium): 2-4-inches tall with variegated leaves; when flowering the leaves are not showing and when leaves are showing there are no flowers.

http://www.humeseeds.com/efcycl.htm

·  Hellebore/Lenten Rose (Helleborus): 12-18-inch evergreen and has flowers with a variety of colors; bloom from January through May, although the later months the flowers turn light green) Gethsemane Garden, in Guilford County, has large number of unusual species.

http://www.lentenrose.com/

Laura