[Durham INC] Council Rezoning Decision TOMORROW/Mon morning: Southpoint Trails and the Comp Plan

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 17 12:58:39 EST 2013

The City Council will hear the Southpoint Trails rezoning (in the Southpoint Renaissance Center area near Jordan Lake) on Monday night. Please contact the Mayor and CC members,

council at durhamnc.gov

and ask them to vote to support and uphold the Comprehensive Plan. I have included Steve Bocckino's letter in this regard below my signature (I referenced it in my own email to council earlier today).
Note that the developers of Southpoint Trails could 'go the conservation subdivision route' (as Frank Duke and George Stanziale once referred to it) without needing to go through a rezoning, and this would result in an increase beyond the current housing density (though not at the highest level they are hoping for).
In fact, it was George Stanziale (who is also involved in this Southpoint Trails development) who tried to 'go the conservation subdivision route' (at the recommendation of then planning director Frank Duke) in order to avoid a public hearing on the rezoning for nearby Jordan at Southpoint (back in 2007, I believe). It is because of Stanziale's manipulation of the loopholes that the EEUDO committee (Environmental Enhancements to the UDO) was formed (by the city council) to tighten and strengthen the language in the conservation subdivision section of the UDO.
Thanks for taking the time to write to the council. If you know their person email addresses, this might be a better way to go, since their meeting is Monday morning (and they may not have checked their council email addresses by then).
Thanks for caring enough to give a few minutes' time to yet another important planning/development decision.
Cheers,Melissa (Rooney)