[Durham INC] last night's priorities

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 27 20:46:43 EST 2013

What I sent a few minutes ago came back to my mailbox really ugly -- hope this works better.  Regards, pat

John Martin explained three says to act on our priorities:
Legislative – Something to ask City Council, the Board of County Commissioners, some agency, etc.Informational – Something worth having presentations to INC onCommittee work – Something we need to form a committee to study

It was noted that we already have internal commitments to do a Candidate Forum in the fall and some kind of multi-neighborhood party.

The priorities (and votes) are as follow.  I did some grouping.
Speed enforcement on streets (6)Traffic calming , education (0)More sidewalks, sidewalk repair (6)Bond for trails (5)Trail safety (0)Trash in waterways (5)Integrate waterways into neighborhoods (3)Park and public space maintenance / appearance (8)Quality of street paving / pavenator report (1)Improve bus routes (2)Monitor mass transit and issues (separation study, development around rail) (4)Nuisance (ABC stores, barking dogs, bad rentals) abatement (8)Parking in front yards (0)Illegal parking, enforcement on (1)Illegally posted signs (0)NIS check-in (0)Unlicensed group homes (2)Update review of UDO (9)Citizen education on planning (5)Sticking with Comprehensive Plan (1)Education and effect of charter schools (1)Food security (1)Increase diversity of affordable housing within neighborhoods (2)Neighborhood unique identity (1)Partner with local orgs / liaison (9)Membership and neighborhood formation (3)Information collection (for youth, new residents, etc.) (1)Association / board member training (4)Interconnect with /among neighborhoods – awareness, not re-inventing wheels, etc.  (1)Local business promotion / Sustainabull (2)

Some of the priorities mentioned are more internal, for allocating INC resources more than asking the city /county / etc.