[Durham INC] Fw: Tragedy in North Carolina HOA

Christine Chamberlain christinebbd at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 2 13:02:54 EDT 2013

I don't know the circumstances of what happened in Charlotte.  I'm deeply saddened that a homeowner took matters into his own hands with a gun.   I'm not saying violence is ever justified, but something must have been going on behind the scenes.   It might shed a spotlight on the problem of abusive HOAs in NC.

I think the legislature can resolve the possibility of escalating violence from homeowners by simply enacting laws that crack down on abusive HOAs.  We've all seen news reports of Nazi-esque (for lack of a better word)  HOAs in NC.  I wonder how many go unnoticed by the media.

One HOA in Durham tried to foreclose on a homeowner for a siding violation. She spent $40,000 in legal fees fighting it.  2 years later, in the same HOA,  a board member (!) knowingly installed a siding violation and then lied about it.  Videotape evidence proved he was lying. Did the board reimburse the first homeowner her $40,000 in legal fees?  No.  The board member? The HOA voted to approve the board member's violation after the fact.   And ever since, he has retaliated against the person who videotaped his corruption.

The situation in Charlotte is a tragedy and I intend to ask my legislators to examine the need for legislation.  We need to stop this before it becomes a trend of copycat killing.

Christine Chamberlain