[Durham INC] INC Matching Grants Resolution

Will Wilson willwilsn at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 08:46:31 EDT 2013

INCers,

As another part of last night's discussions, here is the proposed
Matching Grants Resolution that INC is considering. The text of the
resolution is below, and attached as a Word file. I've also attached a
pdf of the Matching Grants projects undertaken since the program's
inception in 1991. (I believe I sent this list out to INC a couple of
months ago, too.)

My understanding is that this resolution, like the OS/FP resolution,
will go to the neighborhoods for approval, then be voted on by INC in
May, in time for the Monday, June 10th County Commission meeting that
considers the budget. Feel free to contact the County Commission
directly, too!

Thanks,
Will Wilson

InterNeighborhood Council Resolution in Support of
Continued Funding for the DOST Matching Grants Program

Whereas Durham County adopted a Matching Grants Program in 1991 and
functions as a committee of the Durham Open Space and Trails Commission
(DOST), and

Whereas the citizen volunteer Matching Grants Program is administered
with the aid and liaison of a member of the Durham County staff, and

Whereas the committee has accomplished 19 annual cycles of application
reviews and submittal to the Durham County Commissioners for approval, and

Whereas the program provides active and passive recreational
opportunities for the benefit for the citizens of Durham, and

Whereas projects now enjoyed by Durham citizens are greatly varied and
include fitness courses, play equipment at schools, new and improved
recreation facilities, community gardens, environmental learning
environments, hiking trails, natural preserves, SEEDS, ball field lights
and more (detailed in the Attachment), and

Whereas the committee has provided proper stewardship in funding awards
to non-profit organizations that clearly establish additional outside
funding, thereby leveraging community support and funding through
partnering in each project, and

Whereas non-profit organizations anticipate stable matching grant
funding in their planning and implementation of their various projects
when seeking multiple financing opportunities over one or more years, and

Whereas to date, Durham County has funded $1.2 million for the $2.3
million total monetary investment for these projects, now

Therefore be it resolved that the InterNeighborhood Council urges that
the Durham County Board of County Commissioners continue funding of the
Matching Grants Program commensurate with historic levels of funding.

Adopted this xxth day of xx, 2013.

	John Martin, President
	InterNeighborhood Council

--