[Durham INC] Study about Rail Road Crossings in Durham

Angel Romero aromero at ibiblio.org
Sat Apr 27 07:49:45 EDT 2013

The type of solution that makes more sense for the railroad tracks in
urban areas like Durham is to bury tracks underground in tunnels. This
is what most developed countries do. And before anyone brings up the
high cost and technical difficulties, in many cases the value of the
land in the newly gained surface compensates for the cost. It becomes
very valuable real estate. Technically, cities across the world,
including American cities with different kinds of soil and near the sea
have done it (think about New York City's subway and commuter trains).
Gaining the surface would allow neighborhoods to reconnect, create new
sidewalks, trails and construct residential buildings.

Angel Romero