[Durham INC] Noise Duke party, traffic from commencements in Triangle & high school graduations Durham & city & county schools in Orange County

Laura Drey lauradrey at ncrrbiz.com
Thu May 9 09:56:06 EDT 2013

InterNeighborhood Association President, INC Board members, InterNeighborhood Council members, Neighborhood Association Presidents close to Duke campus and neighborhood activists,

I want to make you aware of college, universities and high school graduations due to increased volume of traffic that will at times be irradict due to some of the attendees coming from out of town.
I would like for Neighborhood Associations and the InterNeighborhood Association to ask that Duke follow Durham's noise ordinance and turn down the volume of their events at 11 p.m. including Forever Duke Commencement Party that will be held from 9 - midnight on Saturday, May 11th. I believe if Duke hears people who speak on behalf of organizations and neighborhood associations that these contacts may carry more weight than individual neighbors. Noise concerns Duke/Durham relations as it negatively impacts Durham residents' quality of life and is an on-going aggravation. I do not think that just because Duke is Duke that the university should be entitled to be exempt from complying with Durham's ordinances.

I have concluded that perhaps the Department at Duke that might be most receptive to hearing from the Durham community is the Duke Office of Durham & Regional Affairs. I request that you get in touch this Department as soon as possible. Dr. Phail Wynn is the Director of Duke Office of Durham & Regional Affairs and his email address is: phail.wynn at duke.edu To learn more departmental staff names go to: community.duke.edu/about/staff.php.

Duke Office of Durham & Regional Affairs

Director Duke Office of Durham & Regional Affairs Dr. Phail Wynn phail.wynn at duke.edu

Duke Office of Durham & Regional Affairs duke-community-engagement at duke.edu or (919) 684-6960

---

Sometimes Leslie informs my neighborhood list serve the day before and day of an event:

Assistant Dean of Students Office of Student Conduct Leslie Grinage leslie.grinage at duke.edu (919) 684-6859 (direct) 684-6938 (department in general)

---
Additional departments and individuals who may have some clout regarding details of events:

Laurence Moneta Ed.D supervisor Duke noise larry.moneta at duke.edu,
Duke Dir. Special Events and Ceremonies terry.chambliss at duke.edu,

Duke Student Affairs Office studentsaffairs at duke.edu,
Major Duke Department Sara-Jane Raines Sarajane.Raines at duke.edu,

---
Duke Police Department  (919) 684-2444
Chief Duke Police Department John Dailey john.dailey at duke.edu,
Duke Police Community Service Officer Eric Hester eric.hester at duke.edu or call 684-2444,

---

Duke Administration
Duke University President Richard H. Brodhead president at duke.edu,
Duke University Vice President and University Secretary Richard Riddell richard.riddell at duke.edu,
Duke University Executive Assistant to the President Lisa Jordan lisa.jordan at duke.edu,

---

I really dislike calling the Durham Police department about Duke's noise because Durham's police officers have better things to deal with and I believe the noise is a Duke problem because it is coming from Duke's campus.

Durham Police Department non-emergency phone number is (919) 560-4427
You can call Durham Emergency Communication @ (919) 560-4601 and ask for a District 3 supervisor to come to your house to hear the noise.
Durham Police Department Chief Jose Lopez Jose.Lopez at Durhamnc.gov,
Durham Police Dept Deputy Chief Anthony Marsh anthony.marsh at durhamnc.gov,  560-4322
Staff Assistant to the Duke Chief Rosiland Russell Rosalind.Russell at duke.edu

Commencements

Duke Commencement Plans

http://duke.edu/commencement/schedule/Major%20Events%20-%202013.php

http://duke.edu/commencement/weekend/

Friday, May 10, 2013

4:30 p.m.

Baccalaureate Service (surname A-G, green tickets required) Duke Chapel
Saturday, Mary 11, 2013
11:30 & 3 Duke Baccalaureate Service Duke Chapel
9:00 p.m. - 12 midnight

Forever Duke Commencement Party

Sunday, Mary 12, 2013
9:30 Duke Wallace Wade football field rain or shine www.duke.edu/commencement If weather conditions are questionable, a cancellation notice will be posted on the homepage of the Duke Commencement website:www.duke.edu/commencement and recorded on the Duke Information Line at 919-684-INFO (919-684-4636).  The decision will be made and announced by 8:00a.m. on Sunday, May 12.

In the event that Commencement Exercises are cancelled, diplomas will be distributed at the departmental ceremonies as originally scheduled.  You may want to check directly with your department or school to determine if they have made any changes in the individual ceremonies for Sunday afternoon.

--------
Other Triangle Colleges and Universities

Friday, May 10
9 a.m. William Peace University in Dinwiddie Chapel http://www.peace.edu/academics/office-of-the-registrar/commencement-information/commencement-ceremony

Saturday, May 11
9 a.m. NCSU in RNC arena at State Fairgrounds http://www.ncsu.edu/registrar/graduation/schedule.html
11 a.m. Shaw University in Dorton Arena http://www.shawu.edu/Commencement.aspx
7 p.m. Meredith College in Dorton Arena at State Fairgrounds http://www.meredith.edu/commencement/

-------

Sunday, May 12
9:30 a.m. UNC's main University ceremony will begin in Kenan Stadium. If showers are forecast, attendees should come prepared for wet conditions in the stadium. If it rains, the ceremony will be shortened, but not relocated. If severe weather threatens and attendees’ safety is at risk, the ceremony will be canceled because there is no alternative site large enough to accommodate the expected 30,000 attendees. http://commencement.unc.edu/

-------

The 2013 graduation schedule for all Durham high schools is as follows:

Friday, May 17
9:00 am  - Early College High School. McDougald Gym, NCCU
1:00 pm - City of Medicine Academy. McDougald Gym, NCCU
5:00 pm - Middle College High School. McDougald Gym, NCCU
Tuesday, June 4
9:00 am  - Performance Learning Center. Holton Auditorium
1:00 pm  - Lakeview School. Lakeview
Wednesday, June 5
9:00 am  - Hillside New Tech. McDougald Gym, NCCU
1:00 pm  - Southern School of Engineering. McDougald Gym, NCCU
Thursday, June 6
9:00 am  - Southern High School. Cameron Stadium, Duke
1:00 pm - Riverside High School. Cameron Stadium, Duke
5:00 pm - Jordan High School. Cameron Stadium, Duke
Friday, June 7
9:00 am  - Hillside High School. Cameron Stadium, Duke
1:00 pm  - Northern High School. Cameron Stadium, Duke
5:00 pm Durham Schools of the Arts. Cameron Stadium, Duke
-------

Chapel Hill-Carboro School System
Chapel Hill-Carrboro School High School graduations http://www.chccs.k12.nc.us/
Dean Smith Center at UNC-CH, 300 Skipper Bowles Dr, Chapel Hill

Saturday, June 8
9 am East Chapel Hill High School at  http://echhs.chccs.k12.nc.us/
1 pm Chapel Hill High School at
5 pm Carrboro High School Graduation at

-------

Orange County Schools http://www.orange.k12.nc.us/Quick_Links_Pages/graduation.html
Dean Smith Center at UNC-CH, 300 Skipper Bowles Dr, Chapel Hill

Friday, June 7
4:30 pm Cedar Ridge High School
7:30 pm Friday, June 7 Orange High School

Laura
Laura Drey