[Durham INC] preserve Liberty Warehouse

Brett Walters brettwwalters at gmail.com
Mon May 20 16:54:39 EDT 2013

Members of Council,

I am writing as a concerned citizen extremely bothered by the idea that the
Council may vote tonight to remove historic landmark status for Liberty
Warehouse a mere 2 years after enacting it.  If you vote to remove the
historic landmark status, this will inevitably lead to the tearing down of
the 200,000 square foot historic building, thus opening the entire location
to new development.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to recognize the
vibrancy of culture and economic life taking place at Central Park /
Farmer's Market area is not just due to buy-in and support of the the City
and locally-owned businesses, but also because of the beauty and character
of the environs.

Durham has made enormous strides in the past 10 years, please don't force
us to take a step back.  We all know that developers will not always build
with a city's (or citizenry's) interests at stake: what's to stop this
developer from putting businesses that don't complement the activity going
on in the area now?  The Central Park district now has one of the best
Farmer's Markets in NC if not the entire Southeast; why put this in
jeopardy?

Please vote in favor of preserving Historic Landmark Status for the Liberty
Warehouse.

best regards,

Brett Walters
Duke Forest Neighborhood