[Durham INC] Proposal for Black Academy in Durham NC

AllanLang at aol.com AllanLang at aol.com
Sun Jun 23 17:01:16 EDT 2013

Carl Kenney's blog (http://www.blogger.com/profile/08726120253716456109 )
looked at this issue in a different way and below is Tim Tysons's reply.

The back and forth  bickering between members of Durham’s Board of
Education could be the prelude to  impassioned racial division.

The board is split,  on racial lines, over a proposal to create an all-male
academy to target black  and Hispanic students. White board members are
expressing concerns that the  academy is too costly.  Black board  members
consider the approach essential given the current state of black and  Hispanic
male students.

The board will vote  on June 27, and many feel the proposal will fail given
the 4 to 3 white  majority.

The concerns of white  board members are perceived as further validation
that they don’t care about  black students.  It’s an old cry  that forged a
wedge in Durham that landed the city the label black sheep of  North Carolina
by the Greensboro News  & Record.  It was an era of  extreme tension that
resulted in people being arrested during school board  meetings for
protesting against an assumed racist  agenda.

Things could get  worse if the current board refuses to see beyond counting
the cost related to  the forming of an all-male school.  If white board
members want to make this about cost, they will reap the  fury of a community
disgusted with a lack of response to growing problems among  black and brown
boys.

White board members  can’t hide behind the net of cost restraints.  The
perception of racial insensitivity  is the subject of a U.S. Department of
Education Office for Civil Rights  investigation into whether Durham Public
Schools disciplines black students and  students with disabilities more than
others.  The mounting of evidence suggest the  need for an alternative
approach, and the failure to consider the all-mail  academy will send a message that
will hamper the board’s ability to function  beyond the assumption of
racism.

The lawsuit against  DPS was filed by the Advocates for Children’s
Services, a project of Legal Aid  of North Carolina, and the Center for Civil Rights
Remedies at the Civil Rights  Project of UCLA.  The lawsuit  alleges that
DPS suspends black students at more than four times the rate of  white
students.  The complaint also  claims DPS suspended 17 percent of all students
with disabilities, compared with  8.4 percent of students without disabilities.

The lawsuit addresses  a 15-year old eighth-grader who started failing
classes after being suspended 24  days during the 2011-12 school year due to
behavior linked to mental  issues.

"At no point did DPS  discuss or consider substantive ways to address his
problem behaviors without  resorting to the punitive measure of out-of-school
suspension. The school also  failed to provide (him) with any education
services while he was suspended,  resulting in his falling even farther
behind," the complaint  states.

An all-male academy  could be used to offset some of the concerns stated in
the complaint.

“This is a very  resource-intensive endeavor that would require more money
than what follows a  student,” Leigh Bordley, member of the school board,
stated at a recent town  meeting to discuss the proposal. “To be true to the
success of these types of  schools, we’ll need that additional funding.”

Bordley went on to  claim the R.N. Harris Integrated Arts/Core Knowledge
Magnet School serves the  same purpose as the proposed all-male academy.

“We are doing it,”  Bordley argued. “We’re having success there and we’re
not replicating it. I want  our resources to go to our neediest children.
It takes more than the funds that  follow a student to make this successful.”

Bordley’s conjecture  is rooted in the type of hyperbole that leaves one
wondering if she lives with  her head in the sand.  Discussions  related to
the education of black boys in Durham are held within a context that  assumes
black boys are playing on an equal playing field.  Something is wrong, and
Bordley and her  cohorts are making things worse by making assumptions that
make it seem  they have never taken a step into the world of black male
youth.

Eric Becoats, DPS  superintendent, stressed the importance of taking extra
steps to assure black  and brown boys don’t fall through the cracks. Heidi
Carter, board chair for DPS,  stated she needs more data before moving
forward.

Excuse me.  More data? Suspensions, dropouts and low  academic performance
aren’t enough data to support pulling your head from the  sand to seek a way
to rescue these boys.

The school board was  handed extensive data that proves the success of
all-male schools across the  county.  Carter asked for more.  Why do black boys
always need more to  get a chance to succeed?

Minnie Forte-Brown, the normally calm and  reconciliatory board vice chair,
almost busted a fuse when begging board members  to think outside the box.

“We know that we have  children who are drowning. But what are we going to
do to help them?”  Forte-Brown said. “I want you to think and stop being
scared. You’ve got to step  out on faith. We’ve had kitchen table
conversations, but we’ve never had the  community that’s before you today.”

Amen!

Forte-Brown asked the  board to do something. “If it works, it works. If it
fails, it fails. But to not  do it is unconscionable.”

Board member Omega  Curtis Parker asked members not to discount the plan
based on  cost.

“We can’t stop living  or educating these children because times are hard,”
 she said. “It’s our  responsibility to do what we can for our
constituency. It’s been presented to us  and funds have been identified. But there is a
particular segment of our  community that needs to be serves, who tend to
be minority. Why are we so much  against what’s good for our children?”

Becoats continues to  emphasize the money is there to support the all-male
academy, and that money  will not be pulled from existing schools.  He says
the school will mirror the Durham School of the Arts and City  Medicine
Academy in offering small classes with themed  instruction.

It hasn’t been enough  to sway white board members to consider what the
black community has been  feeling for years.  From Bill Bell,  the mayor, to
countless black community leaders – something has to be done  before it is too
late.

It may not be racist  for the white board members to vote against this
proposal, but, if they do, it  will be virtually impossible for the black
community to ever support their right  to speak on the behalf of black children.

Look for the turning  back of the clock.     Carl  Kenney

This is Tim Tyson's reply to  Carl Kenney blog on Proposed Black Academy

"Forty years of scholarly research since the 1966 Coleman Report, most
education scholars agree, has at least one clear and central finding, which is
that mixed schools serve our children best, according to more than fifty
years  of scholarly research since the Coleman Report. Schools with a
middle-class  majority set a stronger tone of achievement. At a certain tipping
point of  impoverished children, who already shoulder too many burdens, schools
sink into  misery and failure. Every single one of the failing schools in NC
reflect the  ravages of re-segregation by race and socioeconomic class.

The arguments  Rev. Kenney makes here do not refer to any sifting of
evidence. Red-hot rhetoric  is not enough: "It may not be racist" to disagree with
him; "Why are we so much  against what is good for our children?" and "Why
do black boys always need more  to get a chance to succeed?"

Is the school board majority opposed to the  well-being of black boys? Is
it true that the race and gender of these children  causes board members not
to care what happens to them? Stomping your foot and  implying that somebody
is an enemy because they disagree with you is not  persuasive.

The "extensive data" that Kenney refers to goes unexplained.  This
assertion certainly does not represent any consensus of the scholarly  literature.
People of good intentions can differ. But to pretend that the  research shows
a deafening roar in favor of academies segregated by race and  gender are
unjustified. To insist that anyone who disagrees with you doesn't  care about
African American boys tells us nothing. If this reflected careful  sifting
of the facts, there could be no objection. Even though I support Brown  v.
Board, I understand that its implementation was tragically flawed. But my own
 moral beliefs and the NAACP's position aside, I would fight for any policy
if I  thought it would help close the chasms of race and class.

Attacking the  intentions of board members without any acknowledgement of
the complexities here  is not thoughtful; to do so without evidence borders
on demagoguery. In my  assessment of the scholarship, the case for mixed
schools is clear. At the very  least, that case should be carefully considered.
Those who accept it, which  includes not just Durham's evil school board
majority but the NAACP and most  education scholars, should not be hooted down
as a sign of malevolence.

To advocate such schools without reference to the damage of  re-segregation
in our public schools is an odd position. If you think the  downside is
outweighed by the upside, okay, make your case. You can't just  pretend you are
not abandoning Brown v. Board or ignoring the vast scholarship  that shows
re-segregation wrecks school systems.

Re-segregation also  wrecks local economies. According to a 2007 Brookings
study of 300 American  cities, re-segregation is the single most common
cause of economic blight in  America. It is not a coincidence that the twenty
most economically depressed  cities in America are also the twenty most
segregated by class and race. The  best places to live and raise a family in this
country are headed in the other  direction. Durham's future and our
children's best interests do not seem  well-served by schools segregated by race and
gender. That this assessment of  the evidence means that I don't care about
the well-being of African American  boys is certainly an odd conclusion"

Tim Tyson
State Education Chair,  North Carolina NAACP

Allan Lang