[Durham INC] Proposal for Black Academy in Durham NC

Will Wilson willwilsn at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 20:46:26 EDT 2013

The situation facing the nation's poor is a nation-wide, state-wide, and
county-wide disgrace. Poor, black males face the greatest challenge --
no doubt about it. Just one huge example for any doubters: here's a plot
of 2005 US mortality rates by gender for blacks and whites. A national
disgrace.

The single gender academy devoted to suspended minority students sounds
like an intriguing idea, but it came up so recently that I, for one,
don't know much about it. Do we have more than 500 suspended minority
students, and, if so, what are we doing for the remainder?

I've always thought that "progressive" meant having a concern for the
health and economic development of our nation's poor, and having a tax
system that has higher wealth folks pay progressively more on a
percentage basis for those needs. If so, I'm a progressive.

As a nation, we need to help poor kids and families, and that's why I
supported Obamacare, and still do despite the flaws needed for passage.
A critical part of Obamacare was the Medicaid expansion, which, in our
state would have provided health care for half a million North
Carolinians. We know who is to blame for it's rejection in NC. Maybe you
can blame bad election outcomes on progressives, but progressives didn't
reject the Medicaid expansion.

And just like we don't enough health care or provide medicines to poor
folks, we don't provide healthy environments for poor folks. Illnesses
like respiratory problems (asthma, pneumonia, etc) and heart attacks are
partly due to heat and poor air quality. Just like we need to work to
get poor folks medicine to treat some diseases, or lifestyle changes
like the ones pushed by Michelle Obama, we need to create communities
with better air quality.

A push for urban trees isn't a push for urban trees, it's a push for
better health. Durham has higher temperatures, lower air quality, and
fewer trees right where the poorest citizens live. More vegetation,
fewer parking lots, less traffic, better housing can all increase air
quality for our poorest citizens. It's an issue that's only about trees
in the way that the drugs that treat HIV is only about the drugs: Equal
access to health needs.

Like I said, the situation with our nation's poor is a national disgrace.

Will Wilson

--
http://www.biology.duke.edu/wilson/
New Book: http://www.constructedclimates.org/