[Durham INC] Proposal for All-Male Academy in Durham NC

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 25 09:28:49 EDT 2013

I like the idea, except that it doesnt appear to do enough to target those kids who actually need help and structure in their lives. I have always (even when I was a teenager in public school, myself) wanted a school for those kids that most often cause disruption in the classroom and end up spending most of their time in detention or suspension, leading to drop out and usually jail. I always thought we should have a public boarding school for these kids, so they are removed from their destructive environments and get the constant reinforcement they need, and that there should be strict discipline that is relaxed as the kids show personal responsibility for their actions and their behavior improves.

Note: By boarding school, I do not mean juvey jail....though that is where most of these kids will end up if something quite drastic isn't done to circumvent it.

As for the race card thing that Darius brings up, I will not support a person, black or white, if I do not agree with his/her views, and I don't think I should be judged if I support a slate that does not include an African American (or a Jewish American or a Hispanic, etc., for that matter). I supported Fred Foster merely because I liked him and thought he had Durham's best interests in mind. It had nothing to do with him being AA. Doing otherwise would be an insult to him and to me. And if the options did not include Fred, I would not have voted for an AA candidate for BOCC in the last election, because I didn't like my options, plain and simple. That is how Democracy is supposed to work. Man, it is hard to be color-blind in Durham, NC.

Melissa (Rooney)