[Durham INC] Needed tonight: Recycling in Your School - Yourresponse needed for a quick survey

Scott Carter carterjs at us.ibm.com
Wed Aug 14 11:15:38 EDT 2013

Hi,

My wife, Heidi Carter, is on the Durham school board.   I asked her about
recycling in the schools, and it turns out that she attended a meeting
yesterday
on this topic.   She said that Durham Public Schools has a contract with a
waste management firm that does separately collect solid waste from
recyclable
materials in each school.    The city does not provide waste collection for
the school system, so this has to be privately contracted by the DPS and
paid for
out of their budget.    Their contract does provide a financial benefit for
the school system to reduce the amount of solid waste collected by
diverting recyclable
materials into recycling collections.    She said that DPS used to have a
central office manager to direct and oversee the implementation of solid
waste
removal and recycling in all of the schools, but this position had to be
eliminated in the last couple of years due to budget cuts and pressure to
trim the central
office staff.   This manager was responsible for training the cafeteria and
custodial staff at each school on the processes for separating solid waste
from
recyclable materials, and working with each school to minimize the amount
of recyclable material sent into the solid waste stream.   Without this
manager,
she acknowledges that the implementation of recycling in all of the schools
is inconsistent and nowhere near optimal.    Instead, the responsibility
has fallen
on the school principal or other staff, and its effectiveness is often
based on a teacher or parent advocate who wants to help drive it.     Heidi
considers
recycling to be important for DPS, and she would like to figure out how it
can be implemented more effectively at all schools despite the resource
constraints.

Scott Carter