[Durham INC] parking lot oil changes

Will Wilson willwilsn at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 08:58:43 EDT 2013

 From the Herald-Sun:

How many generations will pay for your next oil change?
Aug. 28, 2013 @ 12:59 PM

By Bill Anderson, guest columnist
DURHAM —

You are due for an oil change, and you have a few choices. You could
pull into one of the shops that promise a five-minute change, or visit
your usual mechanic or do it yourself.

Perhaps you stop at an auto parts store to pick up four quarts of oil,
and discover another choice. Street Mechanics.

Similar to shade tree mechanics, these men stand near auto parts stores
hoping to work for folks just like you. You wanted to save some money,
but weren't looking forward to the messy job, and they are certainly
less expensive than the other choices.

The mechanic suggests you bring your car to another location, probably
someone else's parking lot, since the auto parts stores do what they can
to stop this illegal practice.  What's the harm?  Sure, there will be no
warrantee on the work, but changing oil is a pretty simple job.  You'll
pay cash, and the mechanic likely won't declare that income, but the
government will survive. He flies below the City's radar as well, since
no tax license is on file for him. With no taxes withheld, he might make
pretty good money.

  But since his income stream is invisible, perhaps he gets food stamps
and rental assistance, and that means there's less assistance available
for the folks who really need it. There's also less work available to
the legitimate mechanics, who pay taxes and contribute to the community
in many other ways, such as rent and providing jobs.

You decide to save 10 bucks, the job is finished quickly and you never
got your hands dirty!  You drive away happy, but what have you really done?

Perhaps that street mechanic does contribute in a way you never
imagined. Maybe after you leave, he dumps your used oil on the nearest
grassy area he can find. It will seep into the soil pretty quickly, and
he'll be ready for his next customer!

I wish this were only speculation, but sadly it is happening every day
and worse yet, in an area that drains into Ellerbe Creek. Our storm
water department has evaluated one grassy area no larger than a parking
space, and estimated the cleanup at $50,000. An auto parts stores has
accepted cleaning up that spot, but that's not the only contaminated
soil caused by these illegal mechanics.

Since one single quart of used motor oil contaminates one million
gallons of drinking water, we really need to find a solution.  If we do,
we'll be the first city to figure out how to stop this problem.
According to my research, it stymies every city department.

You can't expect police to sit all day in the parking lot, and storm
water can't prevent the damage they report.

We are literally at the mercy of the auto parts stores themselves to
enforce the signs they all have posted. But these mechanics buy parts
from them, and sometimes the mechanics award cashiers for business sent
their way.

There is one other solution.  We are the prospective customers, and if
none of us hires these illegal mechanics, they would soon disappear.  If
you see them loitering at the parts store, or if a cashier suggests
using one, report that to management. Not just the store manager,
because sometimes they aren't inclined to chase off their most frequent
customers. Report it as high up the corporate ladder as you can.

For the sake of future generations, don't sacrifice their drinking water
in an effort to save yourself 10 bucks today.

By the way, I wrote this a couple weeks ago and was inspired to submit
it thanks to a similar article submitted by our Public Works pollution
prevention coordinator, Emily Rhode. That article ran in The Durham
Herald section of The Herald-Sun on Aug. 25. Kuddos to you and your
department Emily!  Together, we can protect our drinking water.

Bill Anderson is a long-time Durham activist and a past president of the
InterNeighborhood Council.

--
http://www.biology.duke.edu/wilson/
New Book: http://www.constructedclimates.org/