[Durham INC] Shop Independent, Locally Owned Businesses & alternatives to gifts

Laura Drey lauradrey at ncrrbiz.com
Tue Nov 26 21:15:05 EST 2013

Alternative Gift ideas

Instead of giving a gift you have options from which to choose. I believe that it is good to take advantage of the live performances and classes that are available in our own backyard. With that in mind you might give a ticket for a live performance or pay for someone to take a class or for an exercise pass at the public recreation facilities or a month membership at a club. Another option is to visit a place together.

Instead of a present for the holiday(s) and/or and birthday(s) you could make a contribution to an organization in the name of a loved one, friend or co-worker. I have put together a list of mainly local organizations that I, and people I respect, believe in.  This list includes contact information and quotes from mission statements of each group. (The list may also be useful if you, or someone you know, is wanting to network, learn about groups you are not familiar with or volunteer. I plan on sending the list in alphabetical order soon.)

---

Shop Independent, Locally Owned Businesses (if you would like my list ask for it off line)

I want to encourage Triangle residents to support locally owned, independent businesses. My hope is that the list will provide these independent stores with more business. My desire is to assist in creating new shopping patterns thereby helping to steer people away from malls* and big box stores.

▪                Shopping independents helps boost our local economy. In a 2012 national poll, respondents said that having locally owned businesses nearby is the #1 factor in creating an ideal community.

▪                Each dollar spent at a local, independent merchant generates up to four times as much wealth in the local economy as a dollar spent at a chain-owned business, due to the local multiplier effect.

Local retailers and distributors are not only more likely than chains to hire locally, but they carry a higher percentage of locally produced goods. (From Sustain A Bull Shop Independent Durham and for more reasons to shop local see http://www.sustainabull.net/about-us/why-local-matters/).

Department, chain and discount stores are really hurting independent shops and locally owned businesses. Durham Convention and Visitor’s Bureau, explains that the impact on businesses varies by county within the Triangle.

Laura