[Durham INC] council's decision regarding deer hunting

nutryb at mindspring.com nutryb at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 10 12:32:16 EST 2014

Hi Dorothy;

As you correctly note, deer "thrived" before mass development took over their ranges, but part of that thriving involved the complex relationship of predators and prey. There are no primary natural predators of deer left in most urban areas. (I don't see us successfully reintroducing wolves to urban Durham!) This causes an imbalance in the ecosystem that can cascade in unintended ways. Limited urban hunting is a method of addressing the ecological imbalance in a way that is less impactful to other wildlife or the environment (no poison, no salt licks laced with contraceptives, no masses of deer-proof fencing).

Prior to the implementation of urban hunting, the plant ecology along the Bolin Creek Trail in Chapel Hill was being decimated by the masses of deer eating all the tender plant material that could be found. It was a similar situation to that found in Yellowstone prior to the reintroduction of wolves there - masses of elk ate everything, causing stream erosion, loss of plant diversity, loss of other animal species dependent on that, etc. When a balancing predator is brought in, the ecological balance returns.

I keep my cats inside, prefer infill and brownfields development, and agree that hunting bear with dogs for sport is lamentable and wrong-headed. But in the interest of "respecting the primordial order of nature" I believe, given the loss of the former predatory species, humans must take over responsibility as a primary predator for deer in urban areas.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to agree to disagree,
Paula from CVNA