[Durham INC] Fwd: Re: Please reject UDO Tree coverage change TC1300002

Will Wilson willwilsn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 09:25:32 EST 2014

INCers,
Regarding the message Milo Pyne, Bob Healy, and I sent a few days ago,
I've had some clarifying discussions with Planning Director Steve
Medlin. The developer-initiated text amendment to the UDO (unified
development ordinances) is not good for our "Tree City".

The following represents a slightly edited exchange (to remove
extraneous bits) with Mr. Medlin (in part facilitated by Councilor
Catotti). In short, imperviousness and tree coverage are calculated over
an entire parcel's area (including a large utilities easement).  This
amendment seems to correct an unfair burden to the developer by reducing
tree coverage requirements, but what is not stated is that it lets
developers keep the higher imperviousness. What becomes unfair is
reduced tree coverage for future residents of the development relative
to other residents of similar zoning.

Please let city council know this amendment should be rejected.

Thanks,
Will