[Durham INC] Voting on Tuesday

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Sun May 4 08:13:17 EDT 2014

Tuesday is a combined general election for school board, partisan primaries for offices such as US Senate and sheriff, and non-partisan primaries for judges.  Across Durham County, about 7000 people came to early voting -- out of about 200,000 registered voters, so we had 3.5% turnout.  I hope that means people are just waiting on Election Day!
A couple points about changes in the voting process:
Voters will be asked if they have an photo ID, but not for their ID. This has been pretty confusing.  What is going on is that the Board of Elections folks are trying to get contact information for people who need IDs so they can be ready for 2016, when they need a photo ID.  Because it is a primary, votes will be asked which party they belong to so they can get the right ballot. Independents can choose to vote in at most one of the three partisan primaries.  Voters are not asked to state their party in general elections.Not all the races are on all the ballots.  If your party hasn't recruited someone to run for, say Chief Ambassador of Entertainment (assuming CAE, a position I just made up for illustration purposes, is a partisan office), or has only one person who has filed to run for that office, you will not see that office on your ballot.  They are being really serious about no cell phones or other electronic devices in the voting places.  If you need a list of candidates you want to vote for, make a paper copy to bring into the voting booth with you.We no longer have the option of having ballots cast provisionally in the wrong precinct count.
To find out whether (and how) you are registered, find your home precinct and see your sample ballot, go to https://www.ncsbe.gov/webapps/voter_search/and enter your name.

More information:  http://dconc.gov/index.aspx?page=97
Regards, pat