[Durham INC] FW: First Durham County Rabies Case of 2014 Confirmed

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 23 18:57:51 EDT 2014

In case you didn't hear….

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 16:02:22 -0400
From: lists at dconc.gov
To: pats1717 at hotmail.com
Subject: News from Durham County GovernmeFirst Durham County Rabies Case of 2014 Confirmed
CC:

                Durham County Government
                Press Release

First Durham County Rabies Case of 2014 Confirmed

Durham, NC - June 23, 2014 - Durham County sheriff's officials Friday received notice from the North Carolina State Laboratory of Public Health that a bat recently trapped by sheriff's deputies has tested positive for rabies. This is the first known case of rabies in Durham County in 2014.

An officer with the Sheriff's Animal Services division responded to a residence in the 6900 block of Calais Drive on June 19 after a homeowner called to report she had discovered a bat in her home. The officer captured the bat and sent it to the public health laboratory for rabies testing. No persons or domestic animals are known to have been in direct contact with the bat prior to its capture.

"Once again we are reminded of the importance of keeping our pets vaccinated against rabies. Durham County last year repealed its animal tax and we've seen an increase in the number of people bringing in their pets for rabies vaccines as a result," Durham County Sheriff Mike Andrews said. "We know, however, there are still plenty of pets in the county that are not vaccinated, and that concerns me. The vaccine is quick, convenient, and reasonably priced. I encourage people to take advantage of our services and protect their pets and loved ones from possible infection."

The Sheriff's Animal Services Division, located at 3005 Glenn Rd in Durham, offers rabies vaccines every Tuesday and Thursday from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 2 to 4 p.m. for a cost of $10. No appointment is necessary, but photo identification is required and payments must be made in cash. For more information please call 919-560-0630.

Sheriff's deputies have sent more than 40 animals to the state laboratory for rabies testing in 2014. Animals sent for testing include dogs, cats, bats and raccoons. There were no confirmed rabies cases in Durham County in 2012 and 12 confirmed cases in 2013. For a map of all confirmed rabies cases since January 2013, go to http://goo.gl/maps/1vmsK.

Forward this email

This email was sent to pats1717 at hotmail.com by lists at dconc.gov  |
Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™  |  Privacy Policy.

Durham County Government | 200 East Main Street | Durham | NC | 27701