[Durham INC] [cranfordrd] Oppose repaving Cranford Rd; goal of modifying traffic patterns on streets

Williams, Marvin Marvin.Williams at durhamnc.gov
Mon Jul 21 15:11:50 EDT 2014

Ms. Drey:

In response to the multiple emails and telephone call that I have received about your request, I will attempt to answer as many of your questions as possible in this one email.

The re-paving of Cranford is scheduled to occur this week barring any weather or material delays.  Our maintenance division has received multiple requests from residents and motorists to repair various sections of Cranford.  Based on the number of requests that we have received, and after reviewing the pavement condition index (PCI) data that was recently generated for Cranford (an average rating of 40 out of 100, which means this street is in a very poor condition), we have decided to perform the major maintenance function of repaving this street.  This repaving effort will minimize overall maintenance costs and efforts at this location and will allow us to shift our resources to several other streets within the City that are in need of routine maintenance.

Based on the emails that have come in from very residents on that either live on or utilize this street, the majority seem to be in favor of this street being repaved.  However, if we (the Department of Public Works) receive a directive from our City Manager not to pave this street we will stop our scheduled paving operations and shift our efforts elsewhere.  I have copied the Deputy City Manager through which Public Works reports to City Manager on this email to make him aware of your request to delay the paving of Cranford.

Also, the evaluation of streets for speed reductions, traffic calming and information and details about speed bumps are all handled by the City's Department of Transportation.  They can be reached at (919) 560-4366.  You can also visit their webpage by using the following link to get more information about their various programs and services: http://durhamnc.gov/ich/op/dot/Pages/Home.aspx.

In addition, here are responses to some of the other questions that have been generated about our planned repaving efforts:

1.       As stated above, the repaving work is scheduled to occur this week or possibly early next week depending on the weather.

2.       Due to the milling and paving operation that will occur, all cars will need to be removed from Cranford.  Residents can utilize their driveways or the intersecting streets for parking if it is allowed.  The milling and paving process will be phased between basic preparations, milling operations and paving operations.  Our hope is complete all work within 5 days if the weather will allow it.

3.       The hours of each operation will be between 8am - 7pm.

4.       Typically we do not have any opposition to repaving streets, so conducting meetings with neighborhoods to discuss whether or not residents would like maintenance to occur on a street that they live on is not a regular practice.  This can be changed if the City Council directs the City Manager to implement a policy that requires all major maintenance activities to be vetted through a public process.

I believe that I have answered the major questions that were posed in the series of emails that were sent out over the weekend about the repaving of Cranford.  If I missed any important points I do apologize; the number of emails and questions about this issue started to become difficult to track.

Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions or concerns.

Marvin G. Williams
Director of Public Works
City of Durham
101 City Hall Plaza