[Durham INC] Brick Gutters/Repaving

peterkatz01 at gmail.com peterkatz01 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 10:35:23 EDT 2014

Mr. Williams,

   This morning I spoke with the foreman of a street repaving project on
Elizabeth just south of E. Trinity.  Although this section of street has
well-preserved brick gutters in excellent condition, the foreman stated that
the current plan was to pave directly over them.

    After all of the discussions over the past couple of years on this
subject with you and on various neighborhood listservs, it has been made
abundantly clear that residents of downtown neighborhoods care about their
brick gutters and granite curbs and that these features should only be
destroyed or removed when there is a clear justification and prior
notification given to the relevant neighborhood.

   While it's my hope that the foreman misspoke, I would appreciate it if
you could confirm and clarify with us the plan for the Elizabeth St.
repaving project.

Sincerely,

-Peter Katz