[Durham INC] Yard Waste Carts: INC-list Digest, Vol 125, Issue 23

John Martin bulldurhamnc at yahoo.com
Tue May 26 17:04:17 EDT 2015

Mr. Long,
I'm afraid I don't find this a very satisfactory explanation.  In essence you're charging all of us the same amount because it's too much trouble to separate your accounts into those who bought their carts, and those who rented them.  But your department created this problem in the first place by switching from selling carts to renting them.
I also find the charges far more than are necessary to cover replacement and maintenance.  My waste cart is marked "Otto" and says it is 95 gallons.  The yard waste cart is the same size.  Lo and behold, I can find them on the internet for less than $90:
Otto Mobile Trash Container - 95 Gallon Black

|   |
| Otto Mobile Trash Container - 95 Gallon BlackOtto Mobile Trash Container - 95 Gallon Black. Usually ships same day. Buy it and Save at GLOBALindustrial.com |
|  |
| View on www.globalindustrial... | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

  I've had my cart for 17 years and it's still in good condition.  Had I been paying a rental charge of $1.50, I would have already paid $306 in rental fees for a cart worth 90 bucks.
Your rental fees are too high and you want to charge rent on something you don't own.   Yet you tell us, "we can't ask taxpayers who don't subscribe to supplement the cost."  I wish you showed as much regard for the people who do participate in the program as you do for those who don't.
John Martin       From: "Long, Donald" <Donald.Long at durhamnc.gov>