[Durham INC] Durham Coalition for Complete Streets

cyounkin at atsu.edu cyounkin at atsu.edu
Fri Sep 11 09:49:30 EDT 2015

I wanted to express an interest in the Durham Coalition for Complete streets initiative. I recently read Erik Landfried's article in the guest column of the Durham News and was delighted to learn of the coalition.

As a healthcare professional & health educator I'm passionate about the state of our sidewalks, or lack thereof and the walkability of our community.

 In light of the Surgeon General's "Step It Up"  Call to action which was just announced about making walkable communities I think the time is really ripe for action.

I've previously expressed my concerns in writing to the mayor about the walkability of our communities and general safety regarding crossing lights and had no response from anyone.

I live in he northern part of the city and walk/run daily. But I have to say that our infrastructure is not conducive to safety, health or amenable to the elderly or disabled persons.

As an active retired healthcare professional I would be thrilled if I could be of some help to the coalition. Please let me know if I might join you in this important effort. Thank you.

Here's a link to the Surgeon General's Call To Action:

http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/calls/walking-and-walkable-communities/call-to-action-walking-and-walkable-communites.pdf

Kind regards,

Dr. Carol A. Younkin
2 Brown Bark Ct.