[Durham INC] Fwd: Voting information for upcoming elections.

Marge Nordstrom nordstrom.marge at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 08:44:07 EST 2016

I'm posting this by request.  It is the text of an email I sent to some
neighborhood listservs.

There are some new voting laws everyone should be aware of.  Several are
under review and with, at least, temporary injunctions and stays by the
Court systems—however, based on the meetings I’ve attended, I highly
recommend you follow the laws as passed.

There’s a great website http://www.ncvoter.org/ that can give you so much
information.

*REGISTRATION*

·         Register by February 19 in order to vote in the primary
elections.  Register by October 14 for the General Election. This applies
to new residents, residents who have moved, or people who will be 18 by
November 8.  *Do not assume you will be able to register and vote on the
same day during Early Voting as in the past.*

·         If you don’t know if you are registered or registered correctly,
go here:  https://enr.ncsbe.gov/voter_search_public/

·         If you are not registered or need to update your registration, go
here for more information.  http://www.ncvoter.org/registering-to-vote/

·         You cannot register online in NC.  You can download an
application, but you still have to mail it.  There will be voter
registration drives and there are a number of places within Durham to
register.  For more information where you can register and to download a
registration form, go here.  http://www.ncvoter.org/registering-to-vote/

·         Note-- Many people think that if someone has been convicted as a
felon that they will never be able to vote or vote again in NC.  That is
not true. Registrants cannot be currently serving a felony sentence, be on
probation or parole, or owe any fines.

*VOTING*

·         Early voting dates for the primary elections are currently
scheduled for March 3-12.  This link gives you specific dates and locations
for both the primary and general elections.
http://vt.ncsbe.gov/OS_Sites/OSVotingSiteList.aspx?County=DURHAM&Election=03/15/2016

·         *You are expected to have a state-approved ID, so if you have
one, bring it!  *This link will tell you which IDs are approved.
http://www.youcanvote.org/voter_id

·         *However, if you don’t have an approved ID, there are two ways
you can still vote.*  Either by mail (absentee) or by signing an affidavit
that you were unable to obtain an ID.  See this link for more information.
http://www.youcanvote.org/voter_id

·         This link will give you all of your personal voter information as
well as sample ballots.  Fill in your name and county and select “Search”.
https://enr.ncsbe.gov/voter_search_public/

·         If you vote on Election Day, you MUST vote in your correct
precinct.  You can find your voting location on
https://enr.ncsbe.gov/voter_search_public/ Fill in your name and county and
“Search”.  *This is different from the past so BEWARE to make sure your
vote counts.*

·         There are a number of advantages of voting early that you all can
figure out, but one that I think is important to note is that if there are
any problems with your registration or address, they can be corrected
during Early Voting, but not on Election Day.

I hope you haven’t fallen asleep reading this email, but voting laws are
different now.  I’m hoping everyone votes and makes sure your vote counts.