[Durham INC] Durham Mardi Gras Fat Tuesday Details!

Debra Hawkins dhawkins913311 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 10:25:33 EST 2018

Here it is folks - the Fat Tuesday details <https://www.facebook.com/events/330470757455761/>  you've been waiting for:

The Triangle's original Mardi Gras celebration is still the biggest and still the best.  We've got the finest musical lineup ever, great food, great costumes, and those quirky traditions that put the Durham in Mardi Gras. Read on for all the details of what's going on where and when.

 Here's a quick schedule, see below for details:

CCB Plaza (Corner of West Parrish & Corcoran Street)

6:00 The Bulltown Strutters play

6:30 The League of the Tutu – Ceremonial placing of The Tutu on Major the Bull

7:00 The Bulltown Strutters will “ramble” from the bull to Motorco

Motorco (723 Rigsbee Avenue)

7:30-8:30 Boom Unit Brass Band

9:00-11:00 Bulltown Strutters

The Blue Note Grill (709 Washington Street)

8:15 – 9:30 The Wiley Fosters

10:00 – 11:15 Coleslaw

Fullsteam Brewery (726 Rigsbee Avenue)

8:00-9:15 The Tan and Sober Gentlemen

9:45-11:00 The Ragweed Brass

The Pit Authentic Barbecue (321 W Geer Street)

8:15-9:30 The Cajammers

10:00-11:15 Shamu Garcon

The Bar (711 Rigsbee Avenue)

9:30 The Mardi Gras Drag Show

One thing that's new this year is that the streets are being taken over by 'krewes', as they are called in New Orleans. These 'social and pleasure clubs' take it upon themselves to create costumes, performances in the streets, marches around the city, and generally bring festivity and happiness to all. Anybody from New Orleans will tell you that krewes are a big part, if not the biggest part, of what Mardi Gras is all about down there, and we want them to become a big part in Durham, too. To that end, we're letting the krewes show us what they've got and run the streets in lieu of us organizing a formal parade. Some krewes haven't told us what they're doing. So...we'll find out! Even though we're not organizing them ourselves, we'll list krewe events as part of your Mardi Gras - because they are!

 If you would like more information, please email Durham Mardi Gras at  <mailto:durhammardigras at gmail.com> durhammardigras at gmail.com or go to the Durham Mardi Gras Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DurhamMardiGras/