[Durham INC] INC Resolution - Old West Durham Neighborhood Protection Overlay

Interneighborhood Council interneighborhoodcouncil at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 23:32:16 EDT 2018

   I'm forwarding the following resolution (attached and below) on behalf
of the InterNeighborhood Council of Durham (INC) as it pertains to the Old
West Durham Neighborhood Protection Overlay, Item 20, on the April
5th, Durham City Council work session agenda:

The InterNeighborhood Council of Durham (INC) acknowledges and supports the
effort, process and general substance, including the incorporation of a
Floor Area Ratio (FAR) provision, of the proposed Old West Durham
Neighborhood Protection Overlay.  Furthermore, we believe key elements of
the draft ordinance -- as well as aspects of the community process used –
are important tools that may be used by other neighborhoods in Durham
seeking to advance their own community-driven planning goals in the context
of the increasing developmental pressures engendered by a changing and
gentrifying Durham.

Organized in 1984, the InterNeighborhood Council of Durham is a coalition
of Durham’s neighborhood and homeowner’s associations. Our mission is to
promote the quality, stability and vitality of Durham’s residential
neighborhoods. Just as many heads are better than one, we believe that
neighborhoods gain strength by working together.  Before INC takes any
position or publishes a statement or resolution on any topic; the issue is
extensively debated, often over a period of months, and voted on by a
quorum of neighborhood delegates in accordance with our procedures and
bylaws.  The statement above is the outcome of this deliberative process.

Sincerely,

Peter Katz
President, InterNeighborhood Council of Durham