[Durham INC] Commissioners Appoint New Clerk to the Board

Jones, Henry R. hrjones at dconc.gov
Tue May 14 08:56:00 EDT 2019

NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release                                                 Date: 05/13/19
Contact: Public Information Office                            Phone: (919) 560-0000/Fax: (919) 560-0020
E-mail: publicinformationoffice at dconc.gov<mailto:publicinformationoffice at dconc.gov>

Commissioners Appoint New Clerk to the Board

Durham, NC - The Durham Board of Commissioners announced their selection for clerk to the board following their closed session on Monday, May 13, 2019. The Board has appointed Monica Toomer to the position after a broad search for applicants to replace former Clerk to the Board Terri Hugie. Toomer has served as interim Clerk to the Board since December 2018. Her official start date is May 14th.

The Board looks forward to a smooth transition for this vital role and welcomes Toomer aboard. "We are excited to announce the appointment of Monica Toomer as Clerk to the Board of County Commissioners," said BOCC Chair Wendy Jacobs. "Monica has been serving as interim Clerk to our Board over the past five months and we know that she will continue to excel in serving our board, Durham County Government and our community in this capacity."

Toomer joined Durham County Government as a Senior Administrative Assistant to the Clerk to the Board in September 2013, before being promoted to Deputy Clerk to the Board of County Commissioners in September 2014. She served in various capacities at Durham Regional Hospital from July 2004 to September 2013, including Reward & Recognition Coordinator, Administrative Assistant, Recruiter Assistant, Payroll Clerk and Health Unit Coordinator.

"Monica is a wonderful employee and a seasoned professional who brings a substantial breadth of knowledge to the position of Clerk to the Board," said County Manager Wendell Davis. "We are both happy and proud to have her promoted from within our organization."

Toomer holds an Associate in Science from Mount Olive College; a Bachelor of Science in Business Management/Business Administration from Mount Olive University and a Master of Business Administration, Public Administration, from Strayer University. Her professional certifications include being a Notary Public for the State of North Carolina and a North Carolina Certified County Clerk (NCCCC).

"Being born and raised in Durham, I am extremely excited about my new role with Durham County Government as Clerk to the Board," Toomer said. "I look forward to continuing my career in public service and helping those in the community I know and love."