[Durham INC] We need more sprawl to get more affordable housing

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 31 22:03:53 EDT 2019

OK -- sprawl is not a good idea.  And probably more sprawl is hard to do.  But this article makes the interesting point that the relatively cheap housing we have had in the past is due to transportation technology that let people live further out (housing costs fall as a square of how far you can get in 30 minutes, since available land goes up as a square), but transportation infrastructure costs probably go up as a square (or maybe cube) of the average commute.

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2019/08/commute-time-city-size-transportation-urban-planning-history/597055/<https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2019/08/commute-time-city-size-transportation-urban-planning-history/597055/?utm_campaign=citylab-daily-newsletter&utm_medium=email&silverid=%25%25RECIPIENT_ID%25%25&utm_source=newsletter>