[Durham INC] Durham Officials Announce Modifications to Stay-at-Home Order

Jones, Henry R. hrjones at dconc.gov
Fri May 22 13:07:38 EDT 2020

News Release
For Immediate Release:

Durham Officials Announce Modifications to Stay-at-Home Order
Amended Order largely adopts the standards announced by Governor Cooper on May 20

DURHAM, N.C. - On Wednesday, Governor Roy Cooper announced that the state is set to begin Phase 2 of the COVID-19 pandemic recovery plan and his Executive Order 141 becomes effective this Friday, May 22, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.  As a result, Durham's merged Stay-at-Home order is again modified to reflect some of the state's provisions, while keeping several sections in place for a little longer.

In announcing the new provisions, Mayor Steve Schewel said, "We've done a good job in Durham of keeping the virus at bay. But recently our cases have been growing at two times of rate of North Carolina as a whole, and our cumulative cases in Durham are now three times as great per capita as Wake County. For these reasons, it's prudent for the City and County to move forward more slowly to rescind our stay at home order."

Board of County Commissioners Chair Wendy Jacobs stated, "Currently underway is a voluntary self-certification process for our restaurants, personal care salons, pools and other businesses which we hope to have in place by June 1. This Durham Gold Standard is being developed by our Recovery and Renewal Task Force in partnership with industry sector Roundtables and guidance from public health experts. The self-certification process will promote public health and safety and a way for businesses to give confidence to their customers, clients and employees that they are providing a safe place to work, shop, and receive services. We want Durham to safely re-open and take important and careful steps to ensure that Durham can remain open."

Here is a quick summary of the primary areas of Durham's Order which align with Executive Order 141 and will go into effect today at 5:00 p.m.:

  *   Worship, religious and spiritual gatherings, funeral ceremonies and wedding ceremonies are exempt from the limits on mass gatherings and may be held while following Durham's mandatory social distancing and sanitation guidelines.
  *   Durham is adopting EO 141 regarding childcare, day and overnight summer camps. Childcare and summer camps are to follow North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services COVID specific guidelines for childcare facilities, Section 4A

Areas which differ slightly from EO 141 include the following:

  *   While the state's EO limits mass gatherings to 10 people indoors and up to 25 people outdoors, Durham will continue to limit the number for outdoor gatherings to 10 people.
  *   Realtors may now accompany potential buyers and inspectors into vacant or occupied properties with the same sanitation guidance that currently exists.
  *   Durham restaurants may only provide carryout or curbside takeout. The Order allows them to open for on the premise dining at 8:00 a.m. on June 1, 2020.
  *   Personal care businesses such as salons and barbershops may open at 8:00 a.m. on June 1, 2020.
  *   Pools may also open at 8:00 a.m. on June 1, 2020.
  *   The Order maintains the stay at home standard, only allowing people to leave for specific purposes, Section 2A
  *   The wearing of face coverings is still required any time people are in public.

Durham's updated Stay-at-Home Order goes into effect at 5 p.m. The Order will remain in effect until it is rescinded.

For additional information please visit: https://durhamnc.gov/4019/Stay-at-Home-Order-FAQs.

To view the new Durham Stay-at-Home Order go here: https://www.dconc.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=32042.

To view Governor Cooper's Executive Order 141 go here: https://www.dconc.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=32046.

To view Governor Cooper's Executive Order 138 go here: https://www.dconc.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=32048.