[Durham INC] Letter to City Council from Merrick-Moore Community- Please share

Merrick Moore Community merrickmoorecommunity at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 12:17:05 EST 2020

November 19, 2020

Mayor Steve Schewel, Jillian Johnson, DeDreana Freeman, Pierce Freelon,
Mark-Anthony Middleton, Charlie Reece, Javeria Caballero

As a resident of Merrick-Moore Community, a Historically Black Community, I
am concerned about the potential harms to my community brought on by
current and proposed developments within MMC. Durham’s Parks and Recreation
newly proposed Sports Park at Hoover Road is within the boundaries of MMC.
There was no engagement between DPR and the residents of this community
from the time that the property was purchased to the groundbreaking
ceremony.  We feel that this park along with other proposed rezoning
projects along Cheek Road, from Hoover Road to Red Mill Road will
significantly increase traffic on an already overburdened road, increasing
the likelihood of pedestrian fatalities. We also have concerns about the
displacement of our longtime residents and those who are living on a fixed
income due to the increasing property taxes.

I would ask that you consider enacting a temporary delay in the development
of this park until this community's questions and concerns have been
addressed. Further, we request that any current and future rezoning
proposals be delayed until the infrastructure along Cheek Road has been
updated to safer streets plan.

Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Bonita Green
Merrick-Moore Community Development Corporation
*merrickmoorecommunity at gmail.com <merrickmoorecommunity at gmail.com>*
954.632.2079 (mobile)