[Durham INC] The Clorox Company to Move VMS Headquarters to Durham County

Jones, Henry R. hrjones at dconc.gov
Tue Nov 24 16:34:28 EST 2020

NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release                               Date: 11/24/20
Contact: Public Information Office               Phone: (919) 560-0000/Fax: (919) 560-0020
E-mail: publicinformationoffice at dconc.gov<mailto:publicinformationoffice at dconc.gov>

The Clorox Company to Move VMS Headquarters to Durham County
Company's investment of $7.5M will create 158 new jobs
Durham, N.C. - The economic pull of Durham County continued on Tuesday, November 24, 2020, as the North Carolina Department of Commerce officially announced that The Clorox Company<https://www.thecloroxcompany.com/> will invest $7.5 million to relocate the headquarters of its Better Health Vitamins, Minerals and Supplement (VMS) business and expand its operations here. The move by Clorox, a leading multinational manufacturer and marketer of consumer and professional products, will create 158 new jobs in Durham County.
"Global brands like Clorox see North Carolina's steady leadership and workforce growth as reasons to operate and thrive here, even during a crisis," North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper said in a release<https://www.nccommerce.com/news/press-releases/clorox-company-create-158-high-paying-jobs-durham>. "The Clorox Company's continued investment and partnership here is good news for our entire state's continued economic recovery."
The Clorox Company was founded in 1913, and is best known for its bleach and other household cleaners. It also manufactures and sells home care products, sauces, containers and personal care products in more than 100 countries. The Better Health VMS division focuses on vitamins, minerals and supplements. Clorox will establish a new research and development facility and expand corporate operations here in Durham County for Better Health and Burt's Bees, which currently employs more than 500 people between its headquarters in Durham and a manufacturing facility in Morrisville.
"Clorox's decision to expand in Durham is a reflection of the strength and talent of our local workforce," stated Economic Development Officer Andrew Miracle. "Through this partnership, we welcome the opportunity to support the Company's workforce needs as well as communicating the quality of these jobs and related career pathways for our community."
The expansion will be facilitated, in part, by a Job Development Investment Grant (JDIG) which was approved by the North Carolina Economic Investment Committee earlier on Tuesday. Over the course of the 12-year term of the grant, the project is estimated to grow the state's economy by $462 million, according to Governor Cooper's office. The JDIG agreement authorizes the potential reimbursement to Clorox of up to $2,194,500 spread over 12 years using a formula that considers new tax revenues generated by the new jobs. Payments for all JDIG and local awards only occur following performance verification by the governing bodies that the company has met its incremental job creation and investment targets.
Durham County Government will consider providing local incentives during an upcoming Regular Session meeting. The anticipated revenue that the project will generate will be twice the size of the proposed local award. With the approval of the local award, Clorox will offer paid internships to support the development of the local workforce and enhance the company's workforce pipeline. In addition, Clorox will also support diversity purchasing programs and trade events within the Durham community.
Of the 158 new jobs created with the project, approximately 60 of the positions will be in Information Technology. Those positions will range in education and experience requirements ranging from a 2-year, 4-year or Master's Degree and at least one year of relevant experience.
"We are excited that the Clorox Company is expanding their presence in Downtown Durham. In addition to the great jobs and investment that come with today's announcement, Clorox further adds to our shared values through a commitment to diversity, inclusion and sustainability. We look forward to strengthening this partnership in the years to come," said Chair of the Durham Board of County Commissioners Wendy Jacobs.

Other essential partners on the project include: the North Carolina General Assembly, the Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina, the Greater Durham Chamber of Commerce and the City of Durham.
###